Today Amy and I have been married for two years. It seems like a short time for two folks that are both 35, but then maybe folks are getting married too soon nowadays.
In two years we have moved twice, combined two families and added 4 new grandparents (her folks split up when she was young and have both remarried). The 4 new grandparents and Amy got 2 new kids (mine) and I got a new son. But most of all I got Amy.
Throughout life there are ups and downs, good times and bad, sickness and health. But I know, as long as she is able, she will stay with me. I know I will stay with her.
I think we found each other a little later in life because both of us needed to learn a few things and be the right kind of people before we met. A younger me might not have tried to even talk to Amy (she's so pretty). A younger Amy might not have been ready to settle down. But as it was, we were both ready. We met online, but decided to see each other in person right away. I drove in to Lawrence from KC to see her. We met at a coffee shop downtown. I was ridiculously early and shopped the bookstore before I went to the shop. I was already halfway through my chocolate/carmel mocha before she arrived.
When she walked in, my eyes were drawn up until I was looking up at a dangerously high angle. With 2" heals, my Amy was easily an inch or two taller than me. So my first thought was "hmmph, tall". Then she smiled and I stood up to meet her. I remember feeling the weird "just met you on a blind date" thing. But by the end of the date I felt struck my how much like me Amy thought and felt. I felt like I was watching myself. All I had to do was think about what I would say and think if I were her and I was more or less right everytime. It was erie and heady stuff. I had always been cute and charming with women, but this was the first time where I felt I really understood one.
Thus started a phase where I would drive back and forth to Lawrence to see Amy and Gabriel (her son). In retrospect, I can't believe how crazy it was--how fast things changed. After 6 months I proposed and in 11 months we were married. The day we met was May 13th, 2002 (a Wednesday) and we were married April 26th, 2003.
I'm sure some of you are thinking "wow, kinda fast." Well it was, but I think I might have stumbled on to a trick of the universe. In a very real and practical way, it guides you. You have to look and listen for the guides, but they are there. I've never felt more confident about the decisions I make than now. It isn't easy and sometimes you have to do things you don't think you can do. But I, at least, have been rewarded.
So for all the other couples out there, congratulations. For all those still searching, follow your dreams and the signs. For all those who don't need search, may you find strength and purpose in your calling.
No comments:
Post a Comment