This may seem obvioius, but in every case where I've seen folks protest what Israel is doing, the immediate response is that they are racists and anti-semitic. I'm not saying any one is doing the right thing in Israel right now. I'm not going to review the history or try to figure out who's the evilist bastard. I'm just saying, if you don't like what Israel is doing, you have a problem with the political policies of a sovereign nation. You're not a racist nor to you "hate Jews." You're no more racist that half the world that "hates americans".
I am personally tired of Israel always whining about anti-semitism every time it is criticisized. It's bullshit. Israel, do what you got to do. Be prepared for us to complain and point out flaws. If you really do stupid stuff, be prepared for the world to respond sternly. The worst you can accuse us of is being "anti-idiot".
Americans have claimed to be Canadians on holiday around the world for years. There are lots of places where they don't like us very much. There are also many folks I know that have every right to hate America and yet they know that I am not personally responsible for the US and they don't take it out on me. Lets all hope for some wisdom. In the meantime, take your criticism like a real Nation and don't hide behind your religion. Tell us to "kiss off, we'll bomb who we want to bomb" or come back and say "alright, we shouldn't have done that." However, when they shoot back tomorrow, don't claim it was racism. Perhaps it was at the begining of this conflict, but now you are dumping gasoline on the fire. Blow up my family and I will hate you. I won't care who you are. It doesn't make me a racist.
Ah, yes... the half-century cry of the Israelis...
ReplyDeleteYou know... it's not even if you protest what Israel is doing...
If you don't support Israel in EVERYthing they do, the ADL will call you anti-Semitic.
I think Israeli politics are freaking INSANE. So... what does that make me?
I suspect it makes you rational.
ReplyDeleteThis thought has really been bugging me this morning. If Israel is unwilling to negotiate with Hamas/Palistine, then the only solution will be violence and eradication. The extreme result of this is genocide. I know the Hamas are also murderous bastards, but a policy of genocide can not be justified. It turns my stomach to think that the Jewish people who endured the Holocaust now seem so willing to inflict the same injustice that they condemn the whole world for inflicting on them. If Israel were allowed to eliminate every Hamas and all their families and supporters (and their supporters families), how would they be any different from the Nazis? I understand that the Jewish people didn't bomb Germany first, but the end result is the same.
How does Israel propose to carry out this policy? Would they put a bullet in every last Hamas child? Would fire bombing them be more efficient? Is starving them to death best? Perhaps we could dismantle Auschwitz and re-assemble it in Tel Aviv for use on Hamas... I hear it was quite efficient.
They rankle pretty badly when they're shown how their policies are so similar to Hitler's "final solution" as well... They were DEEPLY offended when Pope Palpatine likened the conditions in Gaza to German concentration camps in the Big Deuce.
ReplyDeleteFacts are facts, though.
If the FACTS of your policies are uncomfortable to view from the outside... perhaps you need to change the facts of your policies, eh?
omg. Someday... I will read about what is currently going on in the world. *hangs head in shame* Seriously, the other day I had to cancel a doctors appointment because I looked outside and there was a freeking blizzard - which - apparently had been all over the news for days... me? Oblivious.
ReplyDeleteI know there's some complex biznet going on in the gaza strip. Bombs and bad guys and what not, and I'd really love to know what it is, but sadly...
I'm pretty sure though, that I'd agree with your opinion as stated above. You and I tend to think alike on most topics I find. So.. um.. here here! (for now)
Don't worry about current events too much, Ms. New Mom. On one level, sure it is good to be socially conscious. But on another level, what can you do?
ReplyDeleteI can sum it up for you in less than a paragraph. People are killing each other without regard and without providing any recourse to stop it. The only conclusion possible at this time is the elimination of one side or the other. This is, of course, probably not realistic so both sides need to start negotiating again.
You could be completely valid in telling folks, "The immediate need for the current Israel/Hamas conflict is for both sides to start talking again." You'll sound Brilliant.
I think anyone who is simple enough to assume that all Israelis are Jewish would also be the kind to assume all Americans are Christians and that all our policies are Christian. *horrors, they're not?*
ReplyDeleteBoth sides need to put down their rocks and talk like at least teens, not children. But....they've been throwing rocks since long before WWII and they will be throwing rocks long, long into the future unless genocide is indeed the answer.....but of course, there are so many others to throw rocks at and always have been.
*sigh* I was afraid of that.
ReplyDeleteCommunication. Always a good answer. I shall voice that opinion should anyone ask! *crickets chirping* Yeah. I don't actually get OUT much these days either. I guess I'm safe.
But... but... the world is so civilized *rolling eyes*
ReplyDeleteThe scariest part of your summary is, without any identifying labels, it can be stuck on large sections of the planet :(