Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Expatriate does not mean ex patriot.

Every once in a great while I will encounter some passionate American accusing me or other expatriates of “fleeing the US” or in some other way being less patriotic because of the decision to immigrate.  While this may be true for some of those that choose to live outside the US, but I sense this is only rarely the case.  If someone is out there thinking (perhaps only in the back of the mind) that I must not like the US or that I must like it less than other Americans, then I have some knowledge to share them.

Certainly there are lots of things I didn’t like about living in Kansas.  I won’t get in to that, but I will point out that there were also many things I loved about the Midwest.  I do love living here in New Zealand and I feel exceptionally lucky to get the chance.  I don’t for a second ever think of myself as non-American.  I still file taxes.  I still send thousands of dollars back to the US.  I still have dozens of friends, family and colleagues back in the US.  I pray for our soldiers every night.  That statement is a bit of a fudge, because I pray for all soldiers every night—and everyone dying because of violence, greed and hate.  I watched President Obama win the election live on the Internet—with pride in my country.

While I am out of the country, I will be relying on New Zealand health care and will be no burden on the US systems.  My kid won’t be taking up a seat in the under funded school systems.  My cars won’t be in rush hour or adding to pollution in the US.  My investment in air fares is propping up the airline industry.

Many of my Kiwi friends have never had an American friend to ask about the US.  Many folks I meet on the street have never talked to an American before.  Lots of younger New Zealanders only know what they see on MTV and CSI:Miami… Can you imagine what their view of America is?  I field questions on history, policy and culture almost every day.  I take this responsibility very seriously.  I know I may be the only American these folks will every really know.  I do my best to explain why the US does some of the things it does—and believe me, some things are hard to explain.

I have learned tons about New Zealand culture and in the process I have learned tons about US culture.  I see clearly now two approaches to the same problems of living life well and with respect for each other.  My time here will only serve to give me confidence of experience that things can be done differently.  I hope someday I can send back what I’ve learned.  I hope I can get more of the Kiwi good things in to America.  In my view, the US needs thousands more expats.  If we really want to be “leaders of the free world” then we better learn a lot more about the world.

3 comments:

  1. It can be so hard sometimes.... but I agree - I highly, HIGHLY recommend anyone who has a chance to spend a significant amount of time outside the country DO SO. It's amazingly eyeopening and an incredible, incredible experience no matter where you go. It's hard to appreciate the good when it's right up in your face, hard to understand or even recognize some of the difficulties when you're living in the middle of it.

    The US is still a truly amazing place, but sometimes I can't help but think we're getting caught up in the little details rather than seeing how things are affected by the details....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent time as an exchange student when I was in high school and that meant the world to me. It's always made me want to be able to live somewhere else again. As you said, not because I love my country any less, but because it is important to understand other places too, learn about them. We are a young nation and we can learn much from the rest of the world......how sad that for those who do choose that path, to go out and learn, there are those who will judge your patriotism as something less instead of what it most likely is....which is more. When you can be objective about your country, see it's good and bad and still love it.....that is real patriotism.
    And I think you are giving your son an experience that is beyond belief!!!! I wish we had the means the give Aidan the same! Right on for expats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One aspect I miss about Y360 was the more multicultural aspect of it. Maybe I'm just pigenholed here, probably so - but there it was remarkably easy to run into people from all over the world and just through THAT medium I felt like I learned a lot, let alone living on foreign soil.

    I admire you and recognize that my views are narrow in comparison - not in a bad way - just in an uneducated way. It's one of the many reasons I love reading your blogs and opinions.

    ReplyDelete