Monday, March 3, 2008

Bring back the Cape

I've decided that the world of fashion needs to bring back the cape.  I have have multiple self-serving reasons.

First of all, capes are just darn cool.  Nothing really compares to walking at full stride with a full length cape.  I mean wasn't Darth Vader cool?  The future just can't be complete without capes.

My second reason is actually practical.  I walk about 2 miles a day to work.  Right now, the weather is nice and often I could be comfortable on the walk with shorts and a tshirt, but that won't last forever.  I'll be walking rain or shine, hot or cold.  I favor a backpack and it's just not practical to wear a coat over a backpack.  Alternatively, I need a very weatherproof backpack (to protect my laptop).  But a good cape could quite easily cover a pack, provide warmth and all around weather protection.  I see several folks wearing panchos... and what is a pancho anyway other than a less-cool cape.  Can't you see yourself swinging a cape around your neck?  Flip up the hood and you're perfectly covered... and amazingly cool... but warm.

I really don't understand why capes aren't everywhere.

Capes fell out men's fashion about 1915.  I don't know why... perhaps in the restricted production environments of the post-war era the fabric requirements were just too high.  Today you'll see the odd rockstar or dare devil with a token cape.  These are not cool.  They are too flashy and short--entirely useless.  I think there is definitely room for main stream conservative and utilitarian capes... Someone should really fill this fashion niche.  Preferably before winter... please.

6 comments:

  1. Blarg... Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me? It's cold and rainy this morning... if only I had a waterproof wrap of some kind... like a freakin' CAPE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo! Your request to the Fashion Deities came too late....

    Maybe if you start wearing a cape and I start wearing a cape, it'll slowly wind it's way into mainstream fashion.

    maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capes are wonderful things. I have one of those "ladies fashion capes" - the big comfy wraps (sadly with no hood) that I wear frequently. Let's start a trend... I'll take care of it stateside, and you guys can take care of the other side of the world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooooo! I'm finding a cape. That's it.

    ReplyDelete