As serendipity would have it, one of my aunt's died on the 7th. Her name was Christine McDermott. She was an aunt on my wife's side and I only stayed with her a few days last year. Our family went down to celebrate the wedding of Chris's daughter and she graciously invited us to stay in their home. She made us welcome, which was no small thing to invite a family of 5 to stay with you while you held your daughter's wedding. We had a great time, I got to meet all the family in Chicago. Chris and her husband Charlie made that happen for me. I'll always be grateful.
My wife's family is a very strong Irish Catholic clan mostly in Chicago. It's a large family--closely bonded, fiercely loyal. They are amazing. I can hardly comprehend my good fortune to be part of such a group.
We drove to Chicago and back to attend. So it's been a full 4 days for us. The emotional journey of a funeral is too complex to relate in a short note. But over all the strength of family shown through. Although it was the saddest of occassions it was a good trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment