Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A few notes about "As"

The videoblog I did talked about the word "as", but the video is large and the video and sound were badly desync'd.  So I'd thought I'd just clarify a few things about as...

As I said, kiwi's have this great slang feature where they can put the word "as" on the back of anything as a short form of saying "sweet as honey".  Only it is shortened to just "sweetas" (all one word).  This has the wonderful side benefit of saving the speaker from having to say how sweet it was--just that it was really sweet!  It was sweetas!  And if you want to really emphasize it... "It was sweetas, bro!"  Sweetas is the most common form, but folks like to work it in on other words too, but generally in unusual ways... like "cheapas" (often short for "cheap as chips") or in "beachedas" from a popular funny youtube vid (search for beached whale).  You do have to be careful to put a hint of z in the as (azs) so you don't sound like you're saying "ass".  Which they really don't use here, cuz that's your bum or arse.  I've also heard easyas and coolas.  I can theorize that they would commonly understand negative connotations like "hardas" or "fatas", but they don't use them very often.

Anyways... good on ya, mates! You'll be talkin' like a kiwi in no time.

4 comments:

  1. Ah. Much thanks for the clarification. I'll try my best to introduce it here into native Conneticut-speak. *hears crickets* Wish me well mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the Japanese will appreciate it.

    ...

    well, the guys on base will anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT was UBER.

    I love you. Hahahahahahahahahha!!!!

    ReplyDelete