It has always been a dream of mine to actually take a trip on one of these last few real sailing ships. I know I'd probably be sea sick the whole time, but I don't think I care. I find the idea that people traveled the Earth with nothing but a chart, compass and sail as a wonder. These ships are all that remain to show us a hint of how the grand age of discovery came about.
I was surprised to discover there are well over 40 tall ships around the world. Most of them are national treasures of one sort or another. Many are used as naval officer training vessels--just like the Libertad. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Libertad_(Q-2)) Built in the 1950's she has a metal hull with a wooden deck. The deck isn't flat. It has a curve to it at every point. I'm guessing that helps keep it drained. For an ocean going vessel, it was still pretty close to the water. I bet waves over that deck happen more often than one would like!
The masts were several stories tall. My estimate is about 10-12 stories from the top to the water. There is rigging all over the place. At first I thought there must be a series of wenches. There isn't. Each rope is hand tied and would have to be manipulated by the crew. The set up was well beyond my comprehension. There had to be 4 dozen sails on the ship at least. Wiki says she can carry 350 crew!
She stayed for a week and set sail over the weekend. I didn't see her leave the harbour, but I'm sure she left under motor power. But it would have been amazing to see her open up the sails and catch the New Zealand winds across the Pacific. It would be so incredible to be on deck under full sail... How many dreams can come true in one lifetime?
Check out the Lady Washington. A tall wooden sailing ship that harbors here in WA state and comes to Bellingham often. She is much smaller but very cool as well. Maybe when you come out sometime we can book her for a weekend ;) http://www.ladywashington.org/
ReplyDeleteI <3 tallships... LOVE the festival each year in WA.... uber cool!!! I can't fathom dealing with all the climbing in the rigging and such. I'd faint! Makes the sailors of yesteryear seem incredibly brave (and sorta crazy!) all things considered!
ReplyDeleteShe's a beaut alright. I bet all the more impressive in person. Gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the photos, Handsome! It's great to see her in our harbor.
ReplyDeleteThe tall ships are great! The do mock battles in Bellingham Bay every year. Cannons blazing! Several of the sailors I work with went out in their boats to follow the battle and even they got shot at!
ReplyDelete