Monday, August 29, 2005

T-bones Baseball Game

We went to a minor league baseball game on Sunday night.  It was unfortunately the last one of the season.  It was a great time.  While I've been to a number of MLB games (the KC Royals), this was unlike any other game.  I'm not a baseball fan, I don't watch it on TV and I rarely even keep up with the World Series.  But this was a slice of midwest heaven.



In a small, yet well made stadium just on the west edge of town is where the game took place. We parked only about 4 car rows from the entrance.   It only has a single seating level.  Our tickets were front row right behind the dugout on the 3rd base line.  I could have hit an umpire with a half-eaten slushie.  Of course there were hot dogs, peanuts, pop and beer.  Oh and cotton candy.  It was just about 2 degrees in to hot, but the sun was going down behind us and we were sitting in the shade of the stadium. 



There is something about being at a baseball game that makes you love it even if you don't think you're a fan.  I think it might be the crack the of bat on a solid hit and watching the slow arch of a home run.  The crowd hushes at that sound and all eyes watch.   Will it clear the wall?  Regardless of the outcome, the crowd thrills.



A great midwest thunderstorm loomed off to the North.  The sky was dramatic, but the front held off until the 9th inning.  When it did wash over us, it was like a cool blanket draped over the field.  A gusty wind turned the flags around.  But for the last few moments of the game, no one cared.



In the end our home team (the T-bones of course) lost by 2 runs.  I didn't care.  That game was the best baseball game I ever saw.



No comments:

Post a Comment