Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Lakota

A long while ago I wrote this blog about Maori history.  I touch on the feeling that, for me, Maori history was so miraculous to read about because of the history in my own country.  I think most Americans know what has happened to our own indigenous population, but we don't dwell on it.  You couldn't... it is too much.  But I found this video last night and I thought I would re-post it.  It is not a happy TED video.  But I think it shows in stark contrast how the Lakota are treated compared to how the Maori have been treated.


1 comment:

  1. For the NZ folks that may read this. I was born in Nebraska which is just south of South Dakota--where the Black Hills are. I have driven through the Lakota lands many times although I did not know at the time that they were. No main highway travels through the reservation. You would never see the Lakota lands shown in this clip if you were not very determined to get there. Wounded Knee is a desolate stop in the middle of no where. It is marked. But it is not maintained. It is far from sight. It is a haunting place. It feels as if all people have fled from it.

    ReplyDelete