Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

My head was turned by this tourer style bike on Hutt highway the other day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_DL650_V-Strom

I love how wiki has everything...

Anyway, I liked the upright yet still slightly forward position, I was envious of the windscreen, and I thought the whole setup looked versatile.  It is only in hindsight that I see the VStrom is in the same niche as the Multi-Strada although heaps cheaper and probably not as techno as a Ducati. (I looked at these last year).

I hopped down to Welly Motorcycles and checked one out.  I can't ride one until I get a Full Licence of course, but I was just looking anyway.  I am far too broke to even think about $15,000 motorbikes, but I still like to look.  At first glance it was too big to me.  The ferring is wider than I'm used to (by "used to" I mean none) and it seemed too tall.  I wasn't sure how well I'd be able to stand up with it.  But once all the shop mooks were out of view (so they couldn't mock me), I got up on it.  I was very surprised to feel how what looked like such a big bike from the side turned in to "no big deal" when I was on it.  I had no problem with the height and I could instantly see the appeal of the riding position and instruments.  So I guess I have to officially add "tourer" bikes to my "must check out" list when I think about the next one.

I still go back and forth deciding if I ever need a bike bigger than 250cc.  I know I would like such a bike for special roadtrips, but those opportunities are so rare that it seems silly to go for a "road bike" when 99% of my use will be commuting.  The DL650 would be a luxury commuter, but still a good commuter.  Something more "harley" like a V-Star or Boulevard would sure look cool, but not sure they would be "better" commuter bikes. 

But then I have nothing but time.  My L licence is due in March.  Then I'm on Restricted for at least 3 more months (probably 6 unless I pay extra).

Hope all is well in the great white north.  I keep hearing about the snow, but I just can't seem to care! 

No comments:

Post a Comment