This whole thought process started one Friday night at the Wellington Main Station during yet another outage. They are upgrading the old system with a planned completion date of June 2010. So I predict between now and then that the failure rate will increase from 1-2 per month to at least 1 per week. Then I saw that commuter bikes go for about $1500 NZD. My train pass is more than $100 per month... Also when ever we have a need to be in two places at once, the single car is a bit of a hindrance. So for nearly identical dosh, I could be riding a motorcycle.
The next boost in this process was a visit from my father-in-law, Don, who has been an avid biker for many years. One of the more fun things we did while he was here was visit bike shops and shop around. Apparently we have some pretty remarkable motorcycles in NZ. A lot you wouldn't see in the US.
Thus encouraged by wisdom and thrift I set out to see what it takes to get a bike license. Well, as it turns out, it takes a heckufalot. I think someone with some seriously intense safety issues got a hold of the motorcycle licensing system. In the same country that will let non-english speaking yuppy college kids go on 7-day hikes over volcanos you must go through 3 stages of motorcycle licensing and devote at least 1 year to qualifying. You will be required to sit through expensive instructor led practical training, secure three different certificates, take three different written exams, and three different practical exams (where they ride behind you and observe). I have now determined that while NZ may be a very dangerous place to tramp... it might be the safest place on Earth to learn to ride a motorcycle.
This last weekend, I went to take the first required handling course. I wasn't completely clear that the class was also an official test--a test on 7 different basic skills. Now the last time I was on a motorcycle was probably about 1994 and I only really practiced in a parking lot. I was a bit surprised to have master 7 test techniques in one 6 hour class. You have to complete this course *before* you get your learner's permit. I did pass thankfully. Next I have to go take a short written test and officially get my learner's permit for motorcycles. I have to drive on that license for 6 months. After this I have to get another certificate (another instructor led class), take another written test, and go through a practical test. Then I can get a Restricted license! Not even a Full license. The Full license requires another course, another written test and two practical exams!
Technically, all I need is a Restricted license to be a commuter. But dang... If all goes well, I'll have the Learner Permit this week. Then I can stop taking the train. This lets me be more flexible to watch Gabe (saving daycare costs), commute for roughly the same cost, and add the utility of a second vehicle.
I need to hit 100k/h on the motorway, so I need a 250cc bike (the max a Learner/Restricted license allows). The most economical I've seen have been the Suzuki GN250's and GZ250's. Yamaha also has some good bikes in this price range. Once I get one of these picked out, I'll post pictures.
Drive safely, y'all!
Ride on!
ReplyDeleteWow...
ReplyDeleteMy gaming friend has transformed into a kiwi biker dude...
That's too cool :)
Here is a link to an ad for the bike I am looking at...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-233632964.htm
Post a picture :)
ReplyDelete