Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Motorcycle Tomorrow

I have been painfully counting the days until I would have scraped together enough savings to purchase a motorcycle.  Tomorrow I'll have have the last bit I will need.  I am excited about having it, but I could never do it if it also had not been practical at the same time.  I am still very much trying to cut back on expenses as much as possible

The image of me riding a Harley on beautiful NZ days is not the reality, unfortunately.  As much as I would like it, I can not see any way to afford such a luxury.  The Suzuki GN250 I bought is a simple, functional bike best suited to learning and short commutes in fair weather.  But I will be fairly committed to using it in all weather (within reason).  I wouldn't want to ride it in some of the high winds we get.  On those days I'll work from home or still take the train.

Tomorrow after work I will have made the last payment and head out to have a friend ride it back to my place with me.  I could probably get it home on my own, but I'd rather not have to deal with real traffic just yet.  Ross is an expert rider (he rides to work too) so I'm glad he can make time for it.

Nearly everyone I have mentioned the bike to has replied with "Well... be safe!"  I know folks mean well by this, but I do wonder if they just don't know me very well.  I'm not much off a speed junky and this bike isn't "sporty".  I do fully intend to practice in small neighborhoods for a good long while before really trying to be in traffic.  I'll probably limit myself to Lower Hutt for a couple of weeks before I even attempt the motorway.  When I do start using the motorway, I intend to avoid peak hours.  I know I'm not a crazy young buck with a motorbike.  I'll be happy to putter along at 50 mph.

Anyways... I can't wait until after work tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. LOL I think the "be safe" is more "you won't have a roll cage, we worry!" more than "you speed demon you!"

    SO! Tomorrow!!! Grab the helmet and the leathers.... and ride baby!

    ReplyDelete