What is Yum Cha you might ask. Kiwi’s here will know, but I don’t think Americans will immediately understand it. I think it is similar to Dim Sum, but since I never experienced that in the US, I don’t really know.
So… Yum Cha might be a strangely Kiwi-Chinese experience. This is how it goes. You walk in to a something that looks like a cheap Chinese food restaurant. You will be greeted by an Asian person who typically speaks about 2 words of English. These words are “Yes” and “No”. You are directed via smiles and gestures to sit down. You’re given tea, a set of chop sticks, a blank bill, and a small empty plate.
Now the fun begins. An Asian woman will come to your table with a tray of 6-10 plates and ask you (with gestures and badly accented phrases) if you want one of these items she has. You really only get to say “No” as anything other than an emphatic and clear “No” will get one of these plates on your table. She will then make a tick mark on your bill. More Asian women will follow with perhaps a dozen trays of fairly random bits.
The small plate you just ordered will usually have 3 large bite sized portions of food on it. Perhaps a pork bun, or 3 spring rolls, or something similar. However many things are unrecognizable. But don’t ask about them as you may end up with 4 plates of them by accident!
The first time I experienced one of these places I quickly adapted to the concept, but in my attempt to order water and a fork I inadvertently got 5 more plates of food.
I have now accidentally ended up eating Yum Cha twice now. It is not immediately obvious that any particular Chinese restaurant is serving it first off. Second is the obvious language barrier. But I also think they owners use these two factors to their best advantage! “Oh, stupid American… give him 5 plates!”
Luckily I happen to be fairly non-particular about what I’m eating. But I am sensitive in the pocket book. Usually Yum Cha is a great deal for 3 people (as most plates have 3 “portions”), it is much less so for one person. You can expect to pay $20 NSD for a Yum Cha meal. While weird, it is pretty tasty.
Oooohhh wow. Sounds like a typical experience eating out here ;o)
ReplyDeleteThough now... I am hungry. Can I chip in $10 (whichever currency) and eat with you?
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a place like this here, but I've seen places like it on Tony Bourdain's show. Interesting!
ReplyDeleteSounds a lot like going out for Dim Sum, except the Dim Sum I've experienced in China so far has been ordered off of a picture menu or a menu that also has nonsense english on it... You're right though, you never are sure if what you ordered is what you got, or the right quantity. Typically, I've ended up with 8-10 plates of food for 3 or 4 people... silly Chinese, I'm one of the little Americans.
ReplyDeleteI have had Dim Sum up in Rochester, NY and it is exactly like what you have in New Zealand. I can say that seeing how I am a kiwi and have had both here in the US and back home. Although it is pretty hard to find here, we moved to Panama City, Fl and they do not do a Dim Sum here. Bummer! I am soo jealous. PS. Have you tried the tree tomatoes or tamarillos?
ReplyDelete